Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Winter Wonderland Swaps

This will be a multi part post about Kim Caldwells Artistic Affaire Winter Wonderland. Participating in one of Kim's events is not just about the event, but all the fun and preparation leading up to it. Mainly joining the swaps and creating handmade gifts to exchange! For Wonderland I hosted a swap and participated in three more, and today I will share the pics of what I created.




{this first one was a button and trim swap. The goal was to try to put vintage trim, but with 16 gals times 5 yards each, it was quickly getting difficult! So instead I hand dyed and distressed my own!}




{the next swap was for a wreath. I got this lovely gal Roxie and her name fit her style. Only problem is, I am soooo not used to working with those colors. I ended up putting even MORE stuff all over this and in the long run loved how it came out, and she loved it too!}




{this was the swap that I hosted. It was called the Globe swap, because I have no idea what to call these. We all used the same globe base and then made what we wanted. Then we exchanged it white elephant style. It was sooo fun, can't wait to hostess another!}




{here is my globe base. This rhinestone and glass ball trim was a real splurge on my part it was like $25 a yard, and I admit I was coveting it! But this was the perfect place to use it}




{this was another coveted piece, this little glittered deer was old and had its original glitter. I put a cute little fur (it's actually feather trim that I cut down) stole on her and a crown of course. The bottle brush tree is decorated with vintage bells off of an old Christmas ornament.}




{the next swap was a full mini tree swap and we each had to make 14 ornaments that were then collected and put on a mini tree by the swap hostess. I was stumped! I could not think of anything to make. I wanted to make a crown, but just couldn't figure out how I wanted to make it, so instead I opted for a party hat}




{here it is up close. The special part of this ornament was the Vintage tinsel trim. That's REAL vintage trim from the 20's. Super hard to find. How can you tell the real stuff from the modern stuff? Real vintage tinsel trim will be made on a string and will have a patina that ranges from gold to blue}




Okay so this is not a swap, but it's sort of traditional to do a roommate gift. I have the greatest roomie, Tara Wilson from Lu Lu max jewelry and also Serendipity Salvage. I love rooming with Tara because she always makes the reservation, and doesn't care that I have to fall asleep watching tv on my iPad! I found this very cool little dress form and then gave her a little bling








So that's a peek at what I made for my swaps....I will have another post with pics from the actual swaps soon!
Denise
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, shall I gush about the iPad, or your fab swap goodies? ;). I see you are now blogging with an app. I've used one called Blogger, I think. Works OK. I luv my iPad...I also watch tv on it in bed. Funny, I haven't allowed a TV in my bedroom for years. Your swap art is really terrific; obviously a lot of thought, effort and talent on display.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, It was so great to see you again at Winter Wonderland! Your swaps were awesome as always!!! You always do such AMAZING stuff. LOVED the crown you designed & so many of the girls worked on. Know you're vacationing so hope you're having fun. I haven't even had time to post about the event as I'm playing catch up from being gone a week. I've added you to my sideboard so I know when you have a new post. I just love all your creations & Graphic 45. Have a great Christmas. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great swaps Denise. Question: so what is the base you guys used for the snowglobe?

    ReplyDelete